Thursday 26 June 2014

Blueprints, construction, and tools

I came up with a name! Martian Agora. I feel it's nearly perfect (except that Mars is Roman and Agora is Greek...).

I started my construction system yesterday! If you have a blueprint in your inventory, you can place a new building anywhere you look. It scales and rotates a la "Black & White". Once the blueprint is laid down, orbs appear showing you what work must be done. Right now "work" is just filling in the missing components by clicking on them (if you are carrying the right pieces).

I also chose a wonderful font.



At first you had to have the component selected (1 through 8) to right click an orb. But that was not fun. Construction should feel substantial, like you're really setting something up, but not tedious. Now you can right click the orbs if you just have the right pieces anywhere in your inventory.

Next on the list: tools. Today I made a grease gun, hammer drill, drill, soldering gun, and shovel. I was tempted to call it "space shovel" but I didn't take the plunge. Here's a pile of tools in my game as a celebration:


And the inventory icons I rendered:




I'm toast tonight, so we'll have to wait and see what I'm planning for the tools!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be polite.